“Business casual” is the trickiest code to crack as it can mean a multitude of different things to different people.
There isn’t an exact definition as to what constitutes business casual, but I guess to summarise it’s the informal version of business attire.
“Business casual is a kind of middle ground between formal business wear and street wear.”- Wikipedia Definition.
While business casual is applicable to a wide variety of workplaces, it is often interpreted in varying degrees. Needless to say, there is a fiddly balance that must be reached to achieve the perfect business casual look and will depend heavily on your work environment and how your colleagues dress. If you’re lucky and are in a laidback workplace (Like mine) you may have a bit more flexibility when it comes to incorporating casual items into your daily ensembles.
Here are some basic tips for achieving the perfect business casual look:
- Steer clear of denim (Particularly jeans) Instead, opt for bottoms in cotton, silk, or blends.
- If you would wear it out to a club, the likelihood is you probably shouldn’t wear it to work.
- All clothing should be clean and wrinkle-free. I hate ironing but if you intend on wearing a shirt, it needs to be done.
- Hats are just not okay for the office.
- Closed-toe shoes are ideal. But, if your office is more lax, nice sandals (not flip-flops) during warmer months are probably okay.
Take a look at some of my favourite staple items for the office:
Black Pencil Skirt- MISSGUIDED
*Get these in every colour! They are a lifesaver when running late in the morning. Pair with a crisp shirt and you’re good to go.
I love love love dresses like this! They are so easy to wear and guaranteed you will not only look chic you will feel it too!
Oxford shirt-RALPH LAUREN
You really cant have enough smart shirts. I like the Ralph Lauren oxford shirts as they are a very flattering fit.
As for shoes, I suggest brogues for the more wintery seasons and a cute dolly shoe or simple mid block heel for spring/summer.
Hope this helped and you enjoyed reading.
Leave me a comment, I’d love to hear about your work-style.